Thursday, December 14, 2017

The next morning......

He woke up at 6 am, moody and wanting to cuddle, he drank some milk. I did give him some water the night before when he was feverish. He threw up on me seemed like all the water and milk he was given.  We cuddled and I waited about 15 minutes and let him drink a few sips of water and waited a few minutes and he took a few more sips.   Andrew and Jonathan got ready for school and left.  I dressed Alex and decided to take a shower before I called the pediatrician.  He was now lying on the coach looked like half asleep.  I showered  came out and called,  You are caller #8.... NO immediately hung up.  His eyes looked glassed over... Not waiting.  his respiratory rate was about 60.. ambulance or car..... Car......
New Hospital... trying to find the ER in the snow when all the signs are not totally up and then parking....grrr.  Anyway I got him in and even before he was finished with triage they got him a room.  The first nurse was a bit abrasive and asked if he was always this calm... umm he's a typical 22 month old toddler.... NO

So they took him back right away.. He was fading fast.  They tried to get an IV line to get fluids into him. He was severely dehydrated.  I wasn't home most of the night before so I didn't know how much he ate or drank.  And they tried.  They called down everybody that was incredibly good at getting little ones that were a hard stick.   They poked him 26 times to try to get an IV in him....26 every time fishing around. Every time in more painful spots. What was hard to watch was he didn't MOVE.  He didn't flinch, he didn't cry.  He was unresponsive.  They told me after that they were close to taking him to the code room... 

The top picture was them having success getting the iv in. (CAN you say I was TOTALLY relieved)  They pushed him with fluids and then with antibiotics . The doctor is standing at the end of the bed.
 They put him on hi flow mask for his breathing. After he just lied there moved a bit  but was still for the most part out of it.
 Chest Xray
The machine near his feet was pumping in antibiotics.

During this time PICU doctor visited twice to access him and decide if he was going there.  Woah..PICU...I knew no matter what we were staying.  Luckily he perked up and we went to a regular room

No comments:

Post a Comment